My friend Slobodan has just started his new podcast – ProdcastFM. The podcast would be focused on productivity and efficiency, which happens to be an important topic for a lot of people in the WordPress community – freelancers, consultants, clients, employers.
I was invited for the pilot episode which turned to be a hiring-related one, but for the sake of the setup and experiment, here we are:
To stay “on-topic”, after all, I’ll also share few of my productivity tips:
- I start every Monday with a task labeled “Wake up” in my PM system. It’s always a great motivation booster completing the first weekly assignment right after waking up.
- Usually I work in blocks of 2.5 – 3 hours, then I take breaks (lunch, driving to another place, etc). It helps me stay focused during each block and avoid getting burned out or getting stuck with a specific task.
- I’m a cofficer, check out my Coffice Resort book.
- My week is mapped out on Sunday, so that everything is set up for the coming week – less surprises, less critical moments.
- I’m leveraging my time off – listening to podcasts in the morning, management or marketing audio books while driving or at the airport.
We also implement a bunch of boosters in my team:
- Backup projects – we have several projects in the queue whenever we have a gap between projects, waiting for feedback or just getting too tired of a single project.
- We deliver weekly. Weekly scrums allow us flexible hours and ROWE (Results Only Working Environment) model where we focus on the work done.
- We pay attention to the Interruption Science and try to avoid interruptions whenever possible.