Reverse-engineer what you respect in other world-known marketing consultants out there and the rest will follow.
Start by asking the right questions:
- What have they done?
- Where do you see them?
- What are they known for?
- What interviews with them feature often?
Here are some examples from the top of my head:
- Keynote speakers or regular speakers at industry events
- Marketing/business book authors
- Founders or directors at reputable marketing agencies
- Columnists and contributors to top magazines
- Advisors for industry tools out there
- Webinar hosts
- Recognized bloggers
- Trainers for LinkedIn Learning or a similar platform
- Certain social accounts with tons of followers and fans
These channels support each other but top marketing consultants have started with at least a couple of these and scaled them over time.
And each channel is a viable source for lead generation and prospecting. Just be sure to consider the different touchpoints in nurturing your leads so you would stay on the right track.
But even if you manage to get yourself in the right space, and have access to leads, you need some credibility to showcase your work. This list (and whatever else you can identify) is your starting point.
Who are the marketing consultants you follow? Share with us your top favorites in the comments below.