Talking SaaS at WordCamp Netherlands This Weekend

The Netherlands is one of the most active communities in the European WordPress ecosystem, and I'm very much excited to talk about Software as a Service applications in the WordPress context this weekend in Utrecht! WordCamp Netherlands is hosted in Utrecht this year, with a Contributor Day on Friday, Oct 14, and a couple of days with talks in two parallel tracks on Oct 15 and Oct 16. I'm basically closing the WordCamp with the last talk of day 2 talking about "Building SaaS with WordPress" while Franz Vitulli is talking about Slack and internal communication in the other room. I will share… Continue Reading

DevWP Redesign – UX Recap and Content Planning Flows

The last redesign of DevWP was about a year and a half ago (give or take), but I'm really happy to announce that we've done some minor updates in the internal structure plus a brand new landing page for the main domain: Our previous redesign (again by our Creative Lead Alex) did follow my overall idea, but wasn't as functional as I wanted it to be. My initial goal was staying closer to what the internal pages print (overall structure and a sidebar) in order to be consistent, but that led to various limitations - either repetitive information in sidebars and the… Continue Reading

WordCamp Belgrade 2016

Being based in Sofia, attending WordCamp Belgrade last year was pretty much a no-brainer. Luckily, the incredible organizing team in Serbia is organizing another event happening this weekend, or in other words: enter WordCamp Belgrade 2016! It's been close to a year since my sabbatical after WordCamp Europe 2015 when I had to take a long break, rearrange some of my priorities, focus on certain personal and professional things in my life and scale a number of things that would allow me to regroup our resources and give back as a team. We used to contribute more than 5% "before it was cool"… Continue Reading

WordPress Contributing Effort and Focus

End of 2014 was a turning point in my life, and I have been thinking a lot about my contributing efforts for a while now. About a year ago I was teaching at a university, a school, co-organizing WordCamp Europe 2014 and a meetup, spoke at various conferences and meetings for free as well, contributed patches to plugins (plus free plugins and updating themes), mentoring people, teaching interns, and doing a dozen extra things for free. Things Changed at Work [caption id="attachment_11568" align="aligncenter" width="713"] Working crazy hours.[/caption] Our work back then was pretty well organized - we had a large client with an ongoing… Continue Reading

WordPress Job Titles and Skills – Where Do We Stand?

Since I've started my analytical research on the community, including the client's side earlier this month, I've had plenty of examples within the broad community (all people building WordPress websites) for things that are quite alerting. Problems in Our Ecosystem Some of the encounters include: Contractors taking on assignments that they are obviously not capable of solving Web design companies asking for their website to be built by an external company WordPress service providers asking me for WordPress work when they found out that they aren't capable of moving a site People labeling themselves as developers, even though they touch no code… Continue Reading

WordCamp Europe 2015 – Call For Papers

The application form for WordCamp Europe 2015 speakers is now open and the instructions are available here - Apply to speak at WordCamp Europe 2015. WordCamp Europe is one of the largest WordPress events in the world, and gathered over 800 WordPress fans together last year. This year's host would be Seville, Spain - a great and friendly location that would gather over a thousand people during the event ( Jun 26 - Jun 28). [caption id="attachment_11064" align="aligncenter" width="650"] Photo Credit: Margarit Ralev [/caption] Last year's event was here in Sofia and we were truly touched by the opportunity to hang out… Continue Reading

Into 2015

2015 is here again, and everyone is recovering from the New Year's Eve parties around the globe. I would like to wish everyone a happy healthy and successful new year. My TODO list so far is endless, so prioritizing and getting the most out of it would be one of my main targets (priorities!). Also, the reason for this post is mostly Brad's post: https://twitter.com/williamsba/status/550374082462883840 Since that's what I plan to do here as soon as I outline the main topics I would like to blog about. 2014 was entirely outside of my comfort zone work-wise, since I dealt with… Continue Reading

WordSesh 3 on Saturday

I'm speaking at WordSesh 3 this Saturday at 9:00am UTC.   I will share my thoughts and experience with the WordPress Core and a bunch of other programming languages and platforms, comparing several architectural or design solutions. It's my third WordSesh and I'll definitely recommend it to anyone - 24 hours of live WordPress presentations is worth checking out!   Update: The video for my Code Architecture talk is already available: WordPress Slides WordPress Code Architecture from Mario Peshev Continue Reading

What Does “Open” Mean?

I've been an Open Source advocate for about 10 years now, and this has been something that determined me over the years. If you start applying Open Source to your life, suddenly everything changes. Completely. Contributing to WordPress Marko and I led a workshop on "Contributing to WordPress" for my CMS students last year at "Telerik Academy". I didn't expect anything particular back then, mostly because of the fact that all of them were looking forward to their first jobs and were only interested in learning enough in the tech field to land their job, start earning some money and improve their… Continue Reading

Speaking at WordCamp Boston

On Saturday I'll be presenting my "Large Setup for WordPress Projects" talk at WordCamp Boston. It's my third attempt to visit Boston over the past 3 years and I'm looking forward to joining the local WordPress community this weekend! Our SiteGround crew is ready and two of us will share our experience on Saturday, and take part in the Contributor Day on Sunday as well. Don't miss the incredible event that the Boston folks have prepared for you this weekend - see you later this week! Continue Reading