WordCamp Bucharest – Tips for Enterprise WordPress Projects

I spent the weekend at Bucharest attending the local WordCamp -- a wonderful event made possible thanks to passionate organizers and volunteers, top-notch speakers, generous sponsors, and the Romanian WordPress community! [caption id="attachment_13239" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] WordPress enterprise tips at WordCamp Bucharest[/caption] The topic of my presentation was "Tips for Enterprise WordPress Projects". I did a quick survey before filling out the form, assessing the topics that some local peers would be eager to hear about. Enterprise-grade WordPress applications and large organizations using WordPress were among the most cited ones. And here's the summary of the talk: Decide if enterprises are… Continue Reading

WordPress Blogging Challenge – 3 Times a Week

It's no secret that WordPress started as a blogging platform and there are tens of millions of blogs out there. Even though most of us do WordPress design/development for a living, blogging was what introduced us to the platform in the first place but given the busy daily schedule of work tasks, calls/chats and social networks, we tend to neglect it. I miss writing I miss writing. I used to do it a few times a week, writing in several blogs of mine - sharing daily facts or code snippets, or useful links I found, announcing events, summarizing conferences and… Continue Reading

The Coffice Resort – Book

Most of my friends, colleagues and even clients are aware of the fact that I am a strong supporter of telecommuting and flexible work hours. I formed the local freelance community several years ago and I have given numerous talks on freelancing, remote workers, outsourcing and everything related to that. I live in a building with a hackerspace two floors above my place and a co-working space below my apartment. However, several years ago I started (officially, full-time) my freelancing career at a coffee shop in my city. And I enjoy working from coffee shops so much that even when… Continue Reading

The Ten Years Linux Journey

A Linux/LEMP discussion on Twitter today reminded me that I've spent about 10 years within a Linux environment now. It's not exclusive per se, there were times where I got back to Windows for a few months (keeping at least one system Linux-driven all the time), but it's been a great time and I'll tell you my experience with the mystic or notorious (depending on where you stand) platform. Note: Most of you know that I'm not an Apple fan but I'll keep it for myself in this post, just reviewing some slides over the years. Therefore please keep the… Continue Reading

Supporting Open Source Projects

I remember (back in time) when I was still using Slackware Linux. It is a Linux distribution maintained by Patrick Volkerding - the only person behind a project with thousands or tens of thousands of users (maybe more, who knows?). Occasionally the news section of the distro had a new post published that looked like: "I'm taking two weeks off with my family for the holidays, and I will be unable to reply to support inquiries while I'm away". It probably looks odd, and the Linux distribution was pretty stable once configured, but compared to the commercial operating systems it is… Continue Reading

2013 Overview and 2014 Goals

I'm quite happy with what happened in 2013 and I'm grateful to everyone who supported me in any way during my endeavor :) WordPress Core The most significant accomplishment for me was finally getting some of my patches in the WordPress Core. I have contributed more than 15 patches to the core in 3.7 and 3.8, and I'm determined to continue contributing in the next few versions as well. Thanks to SiteGround I'm able to work on the core as a part of my WordPress Ambassador position duties so huge props to the company owners and all the incredible folks that… Continue Reading

The Right People Behind a Business

I've had a few conversations over the last month with people who have contacted me for work lately and we've had a meeting or two (or currently work together). I rarely check my leads and referrals when they contact me through my blog or Twitter, which is a bad habit and I'm catching up now, and my research led to some interesting results. One of them met a former client of mine in London One of them googled "WordPress Developer Bulgaria" Another lead through Post Status - thanks Brian! One more liked a comment in a technical blog and reached… Continue Reading

Prodcast.fm – A New Productivity Podcast

My friend Slobodan has just started his new podcast - ProdcastFM. The podcast would be focused on productivity and efficiency, which happens to be an important topic for a lot of people in the WordPress community - freelancers, consultants, clients, employers. I was invited for the pilot episode which turned to be a hiring-related one, but for the sake of the setup and experiment, here we are: To stay "on-topic", after all, I'll also share few of my productivity tips: I start every Monday with a task labeled "Wake up" in my PM system. It's always a great motivation booster completing… Continue Reading

WordPress Developers – Interview with David Bisset

Our last interview in the Google+ WordPress Developers community is with David Bisset - a BuddyPress freelancer from Florida, one of the WordCamp Miami organizers, recognized WordPress expert and the creator of WP Armchair. David and I discussed the freelancing business of his and I find it quite amusing (in a good way, just like I said in the video :) ) that he's working with European clients, which isn't quite common with most of the WordPress freelancers or small agencies. We went over the large events coming over the next few weeks - WordCamp Europe and WordCamp San Francisco, and… Continue Reading