October 29, 2015 Community

The Abusement of Open Source

The Free Software Foundation has a clear and concise definition of free software – which is tightly connected to what we refer to “open source” with some verbal modifications: “Free software” means software that respects users’ freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve

June 29, 2015 Community

WordPress Contributing Effort and Focus

End of 2014 was a turning point in my life, and I have been thinking a lot about my contributing efforts for a while now. About a year ago I was teaching at a university, a school, co-organizing WordCamp Europe 2014 and a meetup, spoke at various conferences and meetings for free as well, contributed patches to plugins (plus

April 16, 2015 Community

Speaking at WordCamp Belgrade This Weekend

When Marko came for WordCamp Sofia in 2013, I promised that I’ll make it possible to attend the first WordCamp in Serbia as well. Despite of our crazy work weeks lately, I had to make it work so there we go 🙂 So Stanko and I are attending WordCamp Belgrade this weekend. I’ll be presenting about Building a

March 26, 2015 Community

On Working Remotely, Cofficing And Creativity

I’ve been an advocate on working remotely for over 15 years now. My first two HTML sites that I built for clients as a student were in 1999. In 2001 I was fixing computers and reinstalling OS and software apps, part of that was done from home or with Remote Desktop. In 2002 I started

February 16, 2015 Business

WordPress Job Titles and Skills – Where Do We Stand?

Since I’ve started my analytical research on the community, including the client’s side earlier this month, I’ve had plenty of examples within the broad community (all people building WordPress websites) for things that are quite alerting. Problems in Our Ecosystem Some of the encounters include: Contractors taking on assignments that they are obviously not capable of

February 6, 2015 Community

WordCamp Europe 2015 – Call For Papers

The application form for WordCamp Europe 2015 speakers is now open and the instructions are available here – Apply to speak at WordCamp Europe 2015. WordCamp Europe is one of the largest WordPress events in the world, and gathered over 800 WordPress fans together last year. This year’s host would be Seville, Spain – a

January 15, 2015 Community

Obstacles In Communication

One of the most annoying things online for me lately are the obstacles during different phases of communication – blogging, contacting people, sending feedback. Most of us are busy and look for the easiest and fastest way to do anything online, and our attention span is short enough to abandon an idea if the process

January 2, 2015 Community

Into 2015

2015 is here again, and everyone is recovering from the New Year’s Eve parties around the globe. I would like to wish everyone a happy healthy and successful new year. My TODO list so far is endless, so prioritizing and getting the most out of it would be one of my main targets (priorities!). Also,

December 17, 2014 Community

WordSesh 3 on Saturday

I’m speaking at WordSesh 3 this Saturday at 9:00am UTC.   I will share my thoughts and experience with the WordPress Core and a bunch of other programming languages and platforms, comparing several architectural or design solutions. It’s my third WordSesh and I’ll definitely recommend it to anyone – 24 hours of live WordPress presentations is

November 2, 2014 Community

Back from WordCamp San Francisco

I’m back from my WordCamp San Francisco 2014 tour and I’m genuinely excited after meeting close to a thousand WordPress community members over the past few days. The magic of WordCamp San Francisco is impossible to describe unless you’ve been there at least once, and if you haven’t – I’d definitely suggest you to plan for it. However,