October 22, 2014 Community

WordCamp San Francisco 2014

WordCamp San Francisco 2014 is in a few days, and I’m excited to joining the largest WordPress community event so far! The great folks at SiteGround are sending me to join the WordPress Core community summit and the contributor team meetups over the next few days and I’m thrilled to meet again the majority of the WordPress contributors

October 15, 2014 Community

WordPress Developers – Interview with Matt Medeiros

Yesterday we had another great interview for the Google+ WordPress Developers community (over 5200 devs participating), this time with Matt Medeiros: Matt is one of the most active podcast masters in the WordPress community, focusing on the business aspects of our ecosystem, and is also involved in several interesting projects, including Conductor. We chatted about

September 13, 2014 Community

What Does “Open” Mean?

I’ve been an Open Source advocate for about 10 years now, and this has been something that determined me over the years. If you start applying Open Source to your life, suddenly everything changes. Completely. Contributing to WordPress Marko and I led a workshop on “Contributing to WordPress” for my CMS students last year at “Telerik

September 9, 2014 Community

WordPress Developers – Interview with David Bisset

Our last interview in the Google+ WordPress Developers community is with David Bisset – a BuddyPress freelancer from Florida, one of the WordCamp Miami organizers, recognized WordPress expert and the creator of WP Armchair. David and I discussed the freelancing business of his and I find it quite amusing (in a good way, just like I

August 28, 2014 Business

Landing the First WordPress Job

One of my email list subscribers asked me how to find a remote WordPress job. I was facing the same issue looking for my first remote WordPress job, so here’s the list of the options if you’re looking for a full-time WordPress job as a remote worker. Build a Portfolio If you are coming from another area close

August 20, 2014 Community

Speaking at WordCamp Boston

On Saturday I’ll be presenting my “Large Setup for WordPress Projects” talk at WordCamp Boston. It’s my third attempt to visit Boston over the past 3 years and I’m looking forward to joining the local WordPress community this weekend! Our SiteGround crew is ready and two of us will share our experience on Saturday, and take part in

August 19, 2014 Community

Prodcast.fm – A New Productivity Podcast

My friend Slobodan has just started his new podcast – ProdcastFM. The podcast would be focused on productivity and efficiency, which happens to be an important topic for a lot of people in the WordPress community – freelancers, consultants, clients, employers. I was invited for the pilot episode which turned to be a hiring-related one,

July 17, 2014 Business

The $15 WordPress gig

Three weeks ago I received the following message on LinkedIn: Hello, I’m looking for someone who could customize a WordPress plugin we bought. It’s a car reservation system, we need to change the pricing model and add a few extra SQL tables that would operate with the plugin. The contact is a manager of some small

July 14, 2014 Community

WordPress Products and Demos

Last year at WordCamp Sofia I gave a talk named “Choosing the right WordPress theme”. Contrary to the first guesses title-wise, since I’m not a designer at all, my topic was focused on the different sources to find a theme, based on a given set of requirements. Few of my slides were referring to the product piracy –

July 11, 2014 Community

Get your WordCamp Europe ticket now!

The tickets for WordCamp Europe 2014 are on sale – get your ticket now! Few hundred dedicated WordPress enthusiasts and professionals already booked their flights and reserved their seats. The attendee list is growing and everyone is excited for the largest WordPress event in Europe. If you’ve missed the big news, Sofia is hosting WCEU on