Deployment Environment and Toolkit, and Automation

Mark Jaquith gave a great talk at WordCamp San Francisco called "Confident Commits, Delightful Deploys". It was quite helpful as many developers in the WordPress ecosystem are not used to setting up a proper environment for development, including: IDE, debugging and profiling tools, automatic server setup, proper version control toolkit, VM setup, browser testing services and so forth. Part of that was covered by Mark: Hearing that from the Don Draper of WordPress I would definitely give his tips a try (if you're not using them already). Don't forget to check few other talks on deeper engineering (toolkit or code-related) -… Continue Reading

Weekly Company Fee for Contributions

I just saw a great initiative that I simply had to share. Full disclosure, never met the guy nor seen the site that launched this one, but here it is the idea. Alex Pott signed up for weekly contributions for Drupal. I found that through a tweet by Robert Douglass, a great team Drupal guy: https://twitter.com/robertDouglass/status/366176381685608449 You know, the contributing discussions around the WordPress core are quite popular and even intense at times, particularly due to several reasons: it requires a significant amount of time to get into the project history and infrastructure it takes a while to to get… Continue Reading

On WordPress and Release Cycles

The annual State of the Word session by Matt covers the latest updates on the platform - usage, coming updates and new features from the past year and other valuable stats so that WordPress experts could see their place on the map and see if there are any business decisions to be taken for the next few months (or a year). The platform/application direction makes sense for the next level of growth for the WordPress platform. Matt had a great slide for the structure and architecture of WordPress as a framework for building various components and extend in the future: [tweet… Continue Reading

On WordPress and Business

Recently one of the trendy discussions online has been the involvement of business tracks in WordCamp programs.  I'm one of the supporters of that for various reasons. The Key Difference First off, the "business" is one of the key differences between WordPress and various platforms or systems available for the public at the moment. Over the past 10 years I have been involved in projects and teams in platforms in languages such as Delphi, C#, Java, PHP, Python, Ruby, and eRPs, CRMs, CMS, frameworks and many more requiring integration or development for customers. Last time I had the freelance epiphany… Continue Reading

#wp10 WordPress party in Sofia

This week's May 27th was marked as a significant holiday all around the world. Over 700 parties have been organized to celebrate the 10th anniversary of WordPress. Our community in Bulgaria has been influenced by the WordPress aura for the past few years and, according to our volunteers there were about 110 fans joining the party. At some point of time we were able to do a snapshot of the party: Since the plan was for outdoor party, we were concerned that the spring season could possibly ruin the organization, but lucky for us the weather was friendly and the… Continue Reading

WordPress Development Hangouts (hi)story

We had a great discussion with Marko Heijnen yesterday recorded in our WordPress Developers community on Google+. It was the fourth video we record with active WordPress community members so I thought that it's time to set a playlist with our WordPress videos and also shed some light on the overall idea. History The WordPress Developers community was created on Dec 7 2012, a day after Google announced their new Communities feature. It was yet another place for WordPress people to 'hang out', still as an Open Source person myself I'm running Android on my phone and the Google integration… Continue Reading

WordSesh overview

Last week we had the first large WordPress 'meetup' online called WordSesh. It was an incredible event that was yet another proof for how awesome the WordPress community is. I had the chance to speak at WordSesh and I presented the WordPress.org Themes Directory and the process of reviewing themes. The video is embedded below + slides here.   There were several remarkable topics from the ones I was able to watch personally (a few I had to miss due to the urge to sleep), but my top three were: Shane's Managing Distributed Code Teams. That's probably the most inspiring… Continue Reading

Local WordPress activities – April

I can barely find some time to sleep, but hopefully April would be enlightening for the local group of WordPress peeps. In the next month there are several things planned: 1 (if not two) meetups of the Bulgarian group Few WordPress sessions as a part of the CMS course in Telerik Academy WordSesh (available for locals here too) Zero Marketing Conference - WordPress session WordUp! An article in Economics magazine for building some extra income with WordPress. Most of this is still TBD, but I personally expect more involvement after a series of short and intense events covering WP instead… Continue Reading

WordPress Meetup Sofia

After several attempts I finally laid the foundation for the Bulgarian WordPress Meetup group. For the past 2 years I made several attempts to form a community around WordPress here after WordCamp Sofia and my sessions in Telerik Academy, the New Bulgarian University and the custom WordPress courses for startup enthusiasts. The second meetup was led in Telerik Academy with an official opening, announced upfront in social networks and the new Bulgarian WordPress Meetup website. We had two short presentations - for TinyMCE extensions and a local WordUp invite (late April since WordCamp is hosted in Sep-Oct). Photos from the… Continue Reading

After WordCamp Oslo 2013

It's been a great WordCamp this weekend in Oslo, Norway - WordCamp Oslo 2013. My expectations at first were not extremely promising, mostly due to the fact that Oslo is the most expensive city in the world and the weather is unbearable for most warm country inhabitants, but the event was actually incredible in terms of the program, location, party planning and networking at all. Special thanks to team Metronet for organizing the WordCamp, hosting the pre/afterparties and even being open to guests for the days before and after the weekend so that the foreign visitors could do some extra networking or… Continue Reading