There are so many misconceptions within the topic of giving developers the WordPress backend login, so let’s list down the main points.
- Developers survive through development, i.e. running a business is not what they profile in
- Every legitimate business needs a vast investment in marketing or sales to bootstrap and become profitable (code itself is irrelevant)
- Truly important website data should be under various legal constraints that enable you to sue people over in that case (let alone NDAs and contracts)
- Unless you work on a thesaurus, the website data is probably irrelevant under a new brand
- Try not to hire the shadiest people on the planet
Even if you gain access to Google’s entire codebase, it would cost you billions a year to maintain the data centers alone, and years to build a somewhat okay team that manages services, AI algorithms, and a bunch of other segments of the software.
And even if you had all that for some miraculous reason, Google exists mostly due to a brand they have been nurturing for 2 decades. Outcompeting a leader is so expensive and really complicated.