I’ve released a major update of my DX Plugin Base plugin which servers as a skeleton for WordPress plugin creation. Some of the old code has been refactored and simplified and a few new features have been added as well.
Currently the list of code snippets working and included in the sample plugin base is:
- custom post types and taxonomies setup
- sample admin menu and subpage
- example of the Settings API in the admin pages – creating 2 options with a validation hooked function for further use
- registration of activate/deactivate hooks
- adding 2 metaboxes on pages – on the right and at the bottom
- demo of an example shortcode (try it yourself in a page)
- sample widget with an active admin form
- frontend styles/scripts enqueue ‘the right way’
- enqueue admin styles/scripts ‘the right way’
- defining several common constants for paths and versions
Feel free to use the plugin for educational purposes and spread it around. I will continue to add more valuable snippets proving a working samples of the WordPress API on the way.